A couple of weeks ago, on a Wednesday afternoon, I got a text from a dear friend of 25 years…
‘What are your plans for the weekend?’
This simple line was followed by an entire conversation of texts that resulted in a road trip over to Iowa City for a girls weekend. It was last minute, unplanned and the best kind of fun. We soaked up a performance of The Indigo Girls at an outdoor concert, enjoyed the local shops of Iowa City and the Amana Colonies. I spent time with her darling children and we caught up on life past and present.
Growing up, my dad used to tell me that if I had one or two best friends in my life than I was blessed. As I drove home, thinking about all the women in my life and the ways they’ve shared their lives and talents with me, I realized I am abundantly blessed.
Of course a road trip isn’t complete without snacks. Since I was traveling on my own, I indulged in packing some of my favorites–fruit, chai tea and some of these peanut butter bites. Their slightly adapted from Sprouted Kitchen’s version, but in this case I used what I had on hand and they turned to be just right.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend, and a few unplanned adventures of your own!
- 3/4 cup nuts--almonds, peanuts or cashews (cashews are my favorite)
- 1 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)
- In the bowl of a food processor pulse nuts until coarsely chopped.
- Add peanut butter, dates, vanilla extract, sea salt and chocolate chips/cacao nibs (if using).
- Run food processor on high until ingredients come together. The mixture should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Scoop out about a tablespoon of the mixture, and roll it between your hands to form a ball.
- Store in an airtight container.