It finally started to feel a little like spring around here this week. And by finally, I mean that there was no snow in the forecast (yes, we had SNOW in MAY) and the temperature reached a balmy 72 degrees with sunshine.
Our whole neighborhood seemed to emerge in celebration of the sun. The rumble of lawnmowers and children’s laughter filled the air. My boys have started asking when we can fire up pizza on the grill and eat outside. My answer? Not soon enough!
Not only has spring arrived, but also strawberries! They’ve been making a regular appearance at our house, finding their way into lunch boxes, snacks and desserts. The favorite has been adding them to yogurt for parfaits. A little maple syrup stirred into greek yogurt balances out it’s tang and making it just sweet enough.
With only 3 weeks left of school we are already making our Summer Bucket Lists and thinking of what adventures we can fit in between baseball games and swimming lessons. I know I’m looking forward to a trip to the strawberry patch. Strawberry jam….strawberry ice cream….strawberries topped with homemade whipped cream….
What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy strawberries?
- Makes 2 parfaits in 8 ounce Mason jars
- 2 cup berries (we often use a mixture of strawberries and blueberries)
- 1 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (use the real stuff)
- Additional optional toppings: granola, chopped nuts, toasted, shredded coconut
- Stir greek yogurt and maple syrup in a small bowl until well combined.
- In alternating layers, add berries, then yogurt (and any additional toppings) repeat until jars are filled and ingredients used.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator until ready to eat.