It’s been so beautiful here lately. The leaves are mostly down with their show, but sun has been out, making it just nice enough to be outside. We’ve been cramming in as much outdoor time as we can after school before the sun goes down. Sunset is just way to early in my opinion…dark by 5:30? No, thank you.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have use regular milk with a splash of white vinegar or a squeeze of lemon juice, allow to sit for 2-3 minutes before adding to dry ingredients)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Glaze (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients; flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add wet ingredients; buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract, to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour half the batter into loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with half of brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Repeat.
- Using a knife make figure 8 movements, moving across the pan, swirling the brown sugar/cinnamon into the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until knife comes clean out of the center.
- Cool in pan before removing.
- Once cooled, add optional glaze.