Are you starting to think all we do around our house is bake cookies and chocolate cake?
Unfortunately, it’s not. Brussels sprouts, tomato soup and enchiladas have made their way to our table lately too. However, since it’s Friday, and the end of a good week, filled with good news, I’m going to share one more sweet treat to celebrate it in the form of some heart shaped, shortbread cookies.
Shortbread cookies are an easy cookie to make, but do require a little planning ahead. The dough needs to be chilled a couple hours before rolling out for baking. I used white whole wheat flour (accounting for the slightly darker color), but all purpose flour can be substituted.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour, plus more, for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla until combined.
- On slow speed, beat in flour and salt until combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap; chill until firm, at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out hearts with heart cookie cutter.
- Bake until just beginning to brown around the edges, about 18 minutes. (Cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for about 5 days.)
- In the top of a double boiler or heat-proof bowl set over simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally.
- Dip one third of each cookie into melted chocolate.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to dry, or place them on a piece of parchment paper in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Today, I’m participating in a local blog hop, sharing some Valentine’s Day treats and activities, be sure to check out the links below. Have a wonderful weekend!
Find many more ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day by visiting these wonderful local blogs:
Finding Joy – Valentine’s Brunch Donut Display
This Homemade Life – Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Hearts
Chicks Dig Deals – Rice Krispie Treat Hershey Kisses for Valentine’s Day
Liv, Laugh, Love – 52 Love Letters
Mom Saves Money – Frugal Gifts for Valentine’s Day
The Spirit of Saving – 7 Family-Friendly Activities to Celebrate Valentine’s Day in Omaha