A little over a year ago, I began doing short food segments on a local television station. When I received that first email, asking if I’d be interested, my first thought, was ‘no way’! It was so far out of my comfort zone, I couldn’t imagine being in front of the camera. Much to my surprise, I’ve actually come to enjoy these segments. Talking about good food is fun! Usually, the segments revolve around cooking for kids and families with recipes that use simple, seasonal, whole food ingredients. Only recently, did it occur to me that it would be fun to share the segments here.
For this latest television installment, I was asked to share a recipe for families to enjoy, while celebrating the men in their lives this Father’s Day. After a brainstorming session of dessert possibilities, I landed on German Chocolate Cake Sundaes. A delicacy inspired by my own dad with his love for both German Chocolate Cake and ice cream.
- 2 pints chocolate or vanilla fudge swirl ice cream
- 1 bottle caramel sauce, or homemade
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup wide flake coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread the coconut and pecans in 2 separate baking sheets.
- Toast the shredded coconut for 5 minutes and the pecans for 10 minutes, until the edges of the coconut start to brown and the pecans are fragrant.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let the coconut and pecans cool.
- Coarsely chop the pecans.
- Scoop the vanilla fudge swirl ice cream into individual sundae bowls. Top with warm caramel sauce, toasted coconut flakes and chopped pecans. Serve immediately.