Well, here we are, just a couple of days officially into fall. Signs of the season are showing a little more each day…changing leaves, cooler temps and earlier sunsets. Talking with a friend yesterday, she voiced her sadness over the end of summer. I told her I was in agreement. Reflecting back on the last three months, apart from it feeling like the fastest summer on record, it was also quite memorable.
A part of this past summer, that will most certainly hold a place in our memories, are the chickens that joined our neighborhood. It was a long time dream of a good friend, to raise her own, and to everyone’s delight, it was finally realized. The small, but noisy, chicks arrived at the end of June and quickly made their presence known. Soon, there was a regular flow of children making their way down the block to visit ‘the girls’.
My boys and I had little experience with chickens, but found ourselves quite mesmerized by them. Their funny ways of pecking, stretching their wings and rate of growth became fascinating dinner conversation. Out of the entire summer of busy-ness, running boys to practices and activities, some of the most relaxing moments came at the end of the day, sitting under the weeping willow tree with my friend, as we watched ‘the girls’ meander around her yard. We observed their funny personalities, who seemed to be the most in charge, who might lay the first egg, who was the best at catching grasshoppers. Mindless conversation that left me relaxed and refilled as I wandered home each evening with the setting sun. Yes, I will most certainly miss these moments of summer.
While eggs were certainly part of our regular chicken observations, these breakfast burritos have been on our list of favorites for some time. In line with the simple eating we love, these burritos can be filled with a couple of eggs and any veggies you may have in your crisper. I especially love it with green onions, poblanos and chopped tomatoes. Of course there must be avocado and salsa on the side too.
- Eggs, at least 2 eggs per burrito, scrambled
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Various veggies--green onions, chopped tomatoes, peppers
- approximately, 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar (optional)
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- Avocado, sliced (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Melt 1-2 teaspoons butter in skillet over medium high heat.
- Pour eggs into heated skillet, stirring occasionally, cook eggs.
- When eggs are half way cooked, add vegetables and cheese if using.
- Continue to stir gently until eggs are fully cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place eggs on warm tortilla and roll.
- Serve immediately with avocado slices and salsa.